May 10 & 12 (Tue & Thu) @ 7pm
Director Carol Van Zoeren is seeking actors for a staged reading of Palais Kokoschka, a new play by Abby Millager. This will be the official free, public presentation of this Delaware Division of the Arts award-winning work.
Inspired by the paintings of Gustav Klimt, Palais Kokoschka tells the story of traumatized Art Nouveau trophy wife Elisabeth. With even the most intimate details of her life manipulated by those around her, Elisabeth must re-connect with her estranged will to survive and wage a deadly battle for self-determination. The setting is 1912 Moravia (Czech Republic).
Roles to be cast:
(NB: Given the setting, obviously most of these characters are central European. However, the ethnicities of AURA and, to some extent, KLIMT, are open to interpretation.)
- ELISABETH Kokoschka: (late teens – 20s) Genteel newlywed. Highly poetic. Incest survivor but has forgotten all about it. Role entails split personality at times.
- The AURA: (late teens – 20s) Elisabeth’s outspoken alter ego. Invisible to all but Elisabeth and Klimt.
- VASIK Kokoschka: (20s-40s) Elisabeth’s husband. Nouveau riche industrial magnate. Social climber with an axe to grind.
- MARIA: (20s-40s) Type of woman men are attracted to like flies, for no apparent reason. Jilted housemaid. Rude and dangerous.
- Gustav KLIMT: (30s-40s) Famed Viennese artist. Animally magnetic. Jovial, shrewd.
- Josef HOFFMANN: (30s-50s) Viennese architect of the Kokoschka mansion. Well-meaning but anal-retentive and self-absorbed.
Performances: August 12-14, 2016
If you have a question, please ask via abbymillager.com/contact
* Download and Fill Audition Form
Download CSP Audition Form before you show up! In order to save your time, please download the audition form, complete and print it with any PDF reader and bring with you to the audition. ( Download Free PDF Reader )
Copies will be available at the audition if you can not print at home.